17 junio, 2011

What Do You Do for a Living, Dad?

If any of my kids ever asked me that question, the answer would have to be: "What I do is composition." I just happen to use material other than notes for the pieces.

Composition is a process of organization, very much like architecture. As long as you can conceptualize what that organizational process is, you can be a 'composer' -- in any medium you want.

You can be a 'video composer,' a 'film composer,' a 'choreography composer,' a 'social engineering composer' -- whatever. Just give me some stuff, and I'll organize it for you. That's what I do.

Project/Object is a term I have used to describe the overall concept of my work in various mediums. Each project (in whatever realm), or interview connected to it, is part of a larger object, for which there is no 'technical name.'
 Frank Zappa, The real Frank Zappa book

No hay comentarios.: